Friday, November 23, 2007

"What's 4911?"

Yesterday evening, during the digesting of our Thanksgiving dinner, and post herb smoke-out session, my wife and I were standing on our front porch, trying to keep warm in the nippy November weather, smoking a cigarette. We had just been out there long enough to light up the smoke when a lady came walking down our street, looking like she was searching for something. She spotted us and started to make her way towards us.

Lady: Hi, do you guys know where 4911 is?
Wife: Umm . . .
Me: What's 4911?
Wife: It's . . .
Me: Oh, wait, I get it. Well, this is 5021, and the house across the street is 5014, so it's down that way.
Wife: Yeah, just keep walking down there and it should be on this side (motioning to our side of the street).
Lady: Do you know how far down?
Both my wife and I: No, not really.
Me: But it can't be far. But it could also be on the other side of that main street. Sorry, we're not sure.
Lady: OK, thanks.

She walked away, and 5 seconds later, my wife and I started to laugh. I, for one, had thought that she was looking for an establishment called "4911", and my wife, who has been living in the same area for close to 10 years now, could not give her the appropriate directions. Thinking about it now, we did point her in the right direction, so there's no way she would have gotten lost. It couldn't have been more than a block or two away, at the most. We just have to remember to not give directions to people when we're high.

No comments: